Sunday, December 20, 2009

WoW Year In Review


This post is in response to a weekly topic on Blog Azeroth. I think I finished this just under the wire for the 21st deadline. Huzzah! Oh, and this was started at Bible of Dreams, another blog featuring shadow priests you should check out!

What did you do in the World of Warcraft in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I stuck with an Alliance character and leveled it to 80. It was a wonderful experience, and if I didn't have a home on Smolderthorn, Shadowsong would be the server where I would hang my hat. The Illuminati Order guild and the other people I met on that server have all been so friendly and helpful. I really wish I could spend more time with them!

What was your favorite new place that you visited?

Of all the areas introduced with the latest expansion, my most favorite new place would have to be the pit you fall through to get to the last boss in Azjol Nerub. One day, in a guild group, I plan to have a mage cast slow fall on me so I can get some good pictures as I fall. It is so beautiful! I also am in love with all the Kalu'ak areas. Windsocks, walrus people, fish lanterns, swimming turtle transports, and the predominant fishing theme makes me want to move into one of their vacant burrows and live with them.

What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

I am already getting my wish on this one. A few weeks ago, my wish would have been to have people to run things with. Now, I have so many people to run things with, I may never run out!

What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Delgada hit 75 pets. Shawndra hit 80, then hit 50 pets. My biggest achievement will be when I pull Shawndra out and hit the tank button on the random dungeon finder. I plan on doing that in the next few days. Reckoning battle group Horde, you have been warned!

What was your biggest failure?

Playing way too much without really accomplishing anything. Before 3.3, a lot of my time could have been used finishing old world quests, but instead I was busy running laps in Dalaran. I am hoping with the change to the dungeon system Delgada will find the time in between to run a few quests, get some reputations to exalted, and earn some money while doing it.


What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Every silly change that effected one of my jillion alts. Every pet that was made. Everything?

What do you wish you’d done less of?

No matter how many laps I ran around Dalaran, Delgada will never be more skinny than she already is. I think I covered this already :)

What was your favorite WoW blog or podcast?

I read so many blogs and listen to so many podcasts, it would be hard to narrow it down to one of each. Instead, I will list several of my favorites, leaving out the obvious ones that need no introduction from little ol' me.

Podcasts

For The Horde Radio - A (mostly) Horde centric podcast, Auntie Ed and her group of players put out a show about once a month. Most of this is done in character, which I really like. Auntie Ed also spins some tunes in between bits such as one from an undead warlock evicted from his apartment by a smoothie store and mail read with a Horde friendly dwarf. As I write this I am listening to their Holiday special, which deserves more attention than I am giving it. Might I add, I wish Shawndra had as sexy a voice as Auntie Ed!

Warcraft Outsiders - Michelle and John have come back, and the cast is better than ever! Michelle being the pro, with John being the ultra casual player, they play well off each other, and now they have a guest in the third chair every night. I don't just list this show because they had me as a guest, or because I am part of their guild. This really is a fun show!


HearthCast - Rewt and Freckleface are entertaining and informative. They seem to have found a good niche, talking about World of Warcraft for the casual and new player.

Epic Shardz! - Who could not fall in love with Zebgora and Tamori after listening to them? Beside the fact that they play trolls (what's not to love there?) they are really around my level of game play, talking about pets and kids playing (Tam's daughter Bloodpaw plays), Facebook games, holidays and achievements, with a lot of real life stuff thrown in.


Inside Azeroth - Steve and David, formerly of the Grind, join Katerina, formerly of Epic Dolls, to share their news, views, and happenings in Azeroth.

Blogs

Misery - Merlot has her finger on where to find any information about shadow priests, and some interesting and fun commentary.

A Darkened Soul - Chuckenorris also is a great repository of Shadow Priest knowledge. This cheat sheet is so helpful for all shadow priests.

Righteous Orbs - I'm not even going to spoil this one for you. Go over there and read.

I read a zillion other blogs, and am in the process of updating my feed reader. If you have some suggestions, comment below! Blogs give me something to smile about between breakfast and lunch at work.

Tell us a valuable WoW lesson you learned in 2009.

I don't think I have learned anything valuable this year, but I have a small lesson or two for my readers to pass on to others.

1) If one plays a female, consider that they might actually be one until they break it to you. I bite my tongue most of the time when someone says, "Thanks, bro!" or "Let's wait for him to catch up.", or even, "Hey man, I'm dying, throw me a heal!" But sometimes I cannot help but snark back,"Anytime, sister!" or "It's ok, I'll join you girls in a minute. I just need a mana break." or just "I'll heal you, if you call me sweetie..". It's one thing if I rolled a male character. I expect to be taken for a guy then. Guys should be prepared to be mistaken when they roll female characters, too. (Sorry, guy in my girlfriends guild who I snarked at. You were just the final straw of my day. I can't promise to be better, but at least you know I am a girl now.)

2) If you are in a group with someone that is under performing, in your opinion, be kind. Not everyone is as uber as you. If you are familiar with their class enough to help, make some kind suggestions. If they blow you off, no skin off your nose, but if they don't, you may have just made their day by being helpful. They may have been hearing that they are bad but not have known where to look or what to do to improve.


I'm supposed to tag 5 people to do this. I'm going to cop out and allow anyone that reads me and writes a blog or feels like starting one to join in!

No comments: